Monday, October 19, 2009

No Pressure

Jacques Pepin came and had dinner at my school tonight. When the order came in for table 1, my chef said to me, "no pressure or anything, but table 1 is Jacques Pepin".

Um, OK.

Shit.

I had heard during prep earlier in the evening that he was lurking in the kitchen. But that is not unusual. He does that often and sometimes you just look up expecting to see your Chef or classmate, but instead you are greeted with his cheery face. "Hi, chef!" is usually my embarrassing reaction. However, his presence is usually a result of some other event going on at the school, so rarely does he stay to actually have a meal.

I am in poissioner now so tonight I did the spiced monkfish over a bed of green lentils. A lot of the time we make stuff in bulk so it lasts 2 or 3 classes. Good thing tonight I made a fresh batch of the lentils. Actually, I had made it, but the intent was to use it on Wednesday, and finish the stuff we had from Friday. Sudden change of plans. As for the fish, they actually went to the store room and got the freshest one they had (as opposed to the ones we used the rest of the night that were filleted yesterday).

He never came back into the kitchen after his meal so I have to assume my dish did not totally disgust him.

And on we go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment