Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Home Stretch

Well folks, it will all soon come to an end. On Wednesday I start day one of the final level of culinary school. I can't believe how fast it has gone! With the switch in levels, the menu will again change. I have not looked through all the recipes yet, but I do know they include a hanger steak and a foie gras stuffed pheasant. I'm really excited for this menu, but worried at the same time. With all the rotating through the stations, you only get to really cook each dish once or twice. When our final comes around, we need to be prepared to cook every dish on the menu, as we will randomly select 2 from a hat that we need to prepare. Best of luck to my level 6 friends that will take their final on Wednesday night. Cooking with you guys the last 6 weeks has been fun, and I learned so much from watching everyone!

So, although last night marked my final night in level 5, we did not cook the regular restaurant menu for one last time. Instead, last night marked FCI's 25th anniversairy, and there was a private party for the celebration. So, instead the kitchen turned into a catering frenzy, as we pumped out 20 different passed hor d'oerves. Not only were all the deans in attendance, including Jacques Pepin and Nils Noren, but Eric Ripert was in the house too! For those of you who are not familiar, Chef Ripert runs the ever so wonderful Le Bernadin in NYC.

My classmate took pictures of some of the dishes that went out, so I will post those when I have them. I, specifically worked on one that was warm saurkraut topped with pork belly, bacon, and bratwurst. Yummy goodness does not get any better than that :-)

In the meantime, here are some of the dishes we made during level 5 for the restaurant.

Pappardelle with Royal Trumpet Mushrooms, Pancetta and Butternut Squash Jus


Pork Osso Busco with Risotto Milanese


Buttermilk-poached Chicken with Salsify Puree and Heirloom Tomato Ragout


Pan-fried Branzino with Ratatouille, Lemon Aioli, and Tapenade


My Dessert Special when I was in Pastry - Spiced Chocolate Pudding with Sweet and Sour Cherries and Sesame Tuille


Fall Fruit Strudel with Armagnac Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment