Thursday, March 26, 2009

What's Up Doc?


Sorry, Bugs, but I think you taste pretty good.

Chef Alain Sailhac, the Dean of the French Culinary Institute, performed a Chef demonstration at school on Tuesday afternoon. Chef Alain is well known in the food industry. In the 1970's, he was the Executive Chef at Le Cygne in NYC, which earned the first ever 4 star food rating from the New York Times. He also spent 8 years as the Executive Chef at New York City's legendary restaurant, Le Cirque, in addition to time at the 21 Club and the Plaza Hotel.

Chef Alain is someone who I believe truly enjoys his time teaching students at FCI. I often pass him in the halls and he always stops to say hello, asks how things are doing, and asks if we have any questions about anything we are learning. In watching him work during the demonstration, I envied him because it was so clear that this is a man that genuinely loves his job.

His demonstration was a sauteed saddle of rabbit, a fricassee of spring vegetable, a confit of rabbit leg and thigh, and a gibelotte of rabbit breast and shoulder (ragout). He worked with six burners going at once, prepped and cooked everything in front of us, and made it all seem so easy to do 100 things at once.

While the Chef is doing his demonstration for us, there are actually a handful of other chefs in the back kitchen preparing the same meal so that there will be enough for everyone to taste. This is great, but I don't want to taste that....I want to eat the one made by the man himself. Luckily, I snagged a seat in the front row, so was able to get to his dishes before it was all gone. And, I must say, it tasted fantastic, and nothing like what came out of the back kitchen. Sorry guys, it was a good effort, but Chef Alain put out a dish with much bolder flavors, it was 4 star.

I have uploaded pictures in my album - it covers the butchering, the prepping and cooking, and the final presentation. Here is a taste, but please have a look!



3 comments:

  1. So your blog is now one of my favorite daily reads!! Your experiences at FCI are so interesting, I love it! But seriously Betts, you ate rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it all sounds so yummy - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit, I had to work hard to mentally block out of my mind that I was eating rabbit. But once I tasted it, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete