Friday, July 31, 2009

And So it "Officially" Begins

I have found an internship! I actually do not start for another 2 weeks, but I'm excited!

I will be interning 2 days a week, for now, at JoJo on the UES. The head Chef there is Ron Gallo, and perhaps one of the NICEST people I have ever met!

It was really important for me, when looking for an internship, that I found somewhere I felt like I could learn the most. Chef Ron is so passionate about what he does. He totally loves his job, and also loves mentoring young chefs to be.

There are a lot of restaurants you can go to where the interns are just abused. When I met with the Chef today, he stressed that I was not there to help him, but he was there to teach me. I, Of course, will be starting in the "basement" (so not in the main kitchen), and be assisting in all of the prep work. This is standard for any culinary internship. He also stressed that he has no problem bringing interns up into the main kitchen as long as they can demonstrate their ability to handle it. In fact, there is a currently an FCI intern there now who has actually moved himself up to the meat station in the main kitchen.

I don't start until Aug. 20th, but I can't wait. My school recommended me to him so there are a lot of expectations. I just hope I can fill them!

1 comment: