Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Great Pastry Finale

So, it finally comes to an end. The pastry portion of my education ended with nothing other than souffles. Awesome night!

The night started out in an unusual way. Our regular chefs were both out that night and we were greeted with 2 new chefs for the evening. Our head chef for the night was like a French military chef. Ha, ha. No, it was not that bad but he was such a contrast to our regular chef who is quite laid back and tries to strike a balance between serious behavior and having fun (which, don't get me wrong, I think he is great. Is serious and disciplined, as well as fun at all the right times). This night, however, it was all work and don't even think about cracking a smile. Honestly, I loved it. I'm a competitor, and sometimes I wish some people in the class would take things more seriously. Listen. Follow instructions. Focus. On this night, there was not a wimpy "Yes, Chef!" in the house!

Anyway, onto the the desserts!

Mousse Au Chocolat



And finally, the souffles!!! I was surprised at how fast it takes to actually make a souffle, and then once it goes in the oven it's just a lot of waiting and hoping! I'm happy to report that all my souffles rose and were very yummy! It's such a fine line between it being undercooked and over cooked which makes it so tricky. The first cheese souffle I presented ended up being too runny on the inside, but the sweet ones actually came out quite good :-)

Cheese Souffle



Grand Marnier Souffle (and my personal favorite)



Chocolate Souffle

No comments:

Post a Comment