Friday, June 5, 2009

Lots of Catching Up To Do

OK, with the move to a new apartment last week, the past 2 weeks have been too crazy to give me time to update. However, now I want to try to bring you up to speed with my time in pastry.

We learned how to make basic cake doughs, different methods, pastry dough, puffs, tarts and souffles, ice cream, etc. It's a good thing I was sick for most of the time (insert swine flu joke here...) that I did not really have an appetite which saved me from gaining about 20 pounds!

Anyway, my first cake! A Genoise is what they call it. A "Look, Mom, I can work in a diner!" cake is what I call it. Simple cake, layer of raspberry jam and butter cream frosting. Personally, not my cup of tea, as I'm not a butter cream kinda gal. Brought it home, tasted it, tossed it.





The following class, we moved onto crepes. Yum. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. We made both sweet and savory, but here are my Crepe Suzette's - flambeed with Orange Liquor and garnished with confections sugar and orange zest cooked in grenadine.



That same night, we also made apple and banana beignets (deep fried in dough), served with a raspberry coulis and caramel.



All fun things to start out my time in pastry, but noting that really knocked my socks off. Stay tuned for some yummy things to come though :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment