Friday, June 26, 2009

Say Cheese :-)

One of our classes at the end of level 2 was dedicated to cheese. We made ricotta and mozzarella, and spent over an hour cheese tasting and learning about the varieties from goat, cow and sheep milk. After tasting 14 cheeses, three types of milk and three yogurts I was sick to my stomach. I have to admit that as much as I love cheese plates, halfway through the tasting I didn't think I could go on. I finally now realize why when you do get a cheese tasting somewhere the portions of cheese are so small. They want you to actually enjoy it!

Here is a look at my tasting plate - looks like a lot, huh? I did not finish all of the cheeses, but we ended up having to eat a good amount because after we would try another, we would have to go back and re-taste to make comparisons, etc.



My favorite was the Pierre Robert, made from cow's milk. This is the first solid cheese you see in the middle of the photo on the left hand side (looks like brie). It's buttery, with a bit of a peppery kick, and tastes even better with bread!

Making Ricotta (we saved this for our next class to fill our homemade raviolli):




Making Mozzarella (got to take this one home and enjoy the same night!):


No comments:

Post a Comment