Saturday, June 6, 2009

We Love You, Pate A Choux

Pate a choux is the basic dough for puff pastry. You know, profiteroles, eclairs, need I say more? The dough for this pastry is unique in that it is cooked twice. Once on the stove top to dry out all the moisture in the mixture, and then again in the oven after is it piped out onto sheet pans, which is when it puffs up into the shapes we know and love.

We are given a little leniency when it comes to pastry in that we can sometimes alter the final product to our liking. In this case for me it was the protiferoles. Traditionally they are served with a whipped cream filling, which I'm not a huge fan of. So, I just turned all of mine into eclairs :-)

The pate a choux dough can also be deep fried and then coated in cinnamon and sugar. All yummy goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment